Monday, February 18, 2013

Don't Blink...

The Kenny Chesney song "Don't Blink" came on the radio the other day and it has been stuck in my head ever since. Life lately seems to run like the lyrics of the song... ~Don't Blink...Just like that you're six years old and you take a nap and you wake up and you're 25 and your high school sweetheart becomes your wife ~Dont Blink... You just might miss your babies growing like mine did, turning into moms and dads... Next thing you know your better half of 50 years is there in bed and you're praying God takes you instead... Trust me friend a hundred years goes faster than you think.... Don't Blink.

Yeah... Seams every time I blink these days I fast forward so quickly it feels like a blur. My oldest 3 boys don't live at home any more, David is 18 and is moving quickly into the next phase of his life... he is a senior in High School, he works, he has staff to take him places and do things with him.. we are starting to think aboutr what his adult life is going to look like etc... Jake is a High school Junior... he is always on the go and Ben and Caroline are both in Midddle school... Don't Blink.

  It seems like yesterday that my house was full, the dinner table was crowded, the laundy pile was huge... now most Saturday nights its me and Dave maybe David, and Ben and Caroline. The dinner table is all but empty and I don't know how much food to cook... I am used to cooking for a small army of boys... now there are 5 of us most nights and 3 with PWS... I throw so much food away!! Part of me is enjoying the change of pace, looking forward to the next phase when maybe just maybe it is just me and Dave again... and another part of me really really misses the days when my house was full of activity and the crazyness that comes with having 7 kids in the house...  Don't Blink.

  It is a parents job to raise their children to be self sufficient and independent. I have done my job if they spread their wings and fly... but it also leaves a hole in me where they used to be. I used to go to the grocery store often with all 7 of them in tow. I never thought a thing of it. We had a routine, everyone had a job and there was usually someone who had a problem or a meltdown or an issue... its just how we rolled. Now, when I am wondering the isles of the gorcery store all by myself and I come across a mom navigatging the store with several young children I look at her with envy missing those days. Missing the chaos. Missing everything that goes with it.... Don't Blink.

All I can offer to those of you who still have young ones at home is enjoy it. It goes by in the blink of an eye.

0 comments: