Thursday, May 15, 2008

Out to win the war.. (on PWS)

I have picked myself up by my bootstraps and continue the battle at hand.
I have been a mom for 19 years and a mom to a child with PWS for 13 1/2 years. This is not the first time by any means that David has gotten into food... he has been an active food seeker since he was 3 years old. I could write an entire book on the things we have caught him with over the years. I have learned over the years, that I will not win every food battle... he will win some of the time... but I will win the war... I will keep him from being obese, I will keep him from eating himself to death, I will keep him active so that he burns as many calories in a day as possible.. but I have to keep in mind that he is THE MASTER when it comes to sneaking.. he can go into what Dave and I call "stealth mode" and quickly and silently get ahold of something without us knowing... we also sometimes call it
"a drive by"... yes... he wins sometimes.... but what is important is that I win more... He knows he will get caught, but because of PWS he can not stop himself. Who else would eat 2 granola bars on the toilet and throw the wrappers in the bathroom trashcan?

I decided to share that photo with you all the other day because this is our life... every second of every day I am on guard.. our kitchen is locked, but in a house with 9 people, the doors get left open sometimes, food gets left out... this isn't Davids fault, it is ours for not protecting him from it. But to spite that David continues to do well.. his weight is good, he is healthy, he is generally happy, he has friends, he does well in school, and has so much to offer to everyone he meets, he has a kind heart, but he has no control when it comes to food... I MUST BE THAT CONTROL for him.

So... that being said... we keep on keepin' on... and we will win this... I am sure of it.
I will leave you with a quote that I love by Vince Lombardi...

"The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand."

0 comments: