Saturday, April 5, 2008

The Strength of the Huddle

I stumbled across the quote yesterday and it has been ringing in my ears ever since. I keep thinking of all the supports we as a family have... of course there is our immediate family, Dave's Mom and Dad, his brother & sister and their families, my sister... my dear friend Regina who might as well be my sister!
Then there is Ben and Caroline's birth families... both important parts of our family.
Reaching out into the community we have a wonderful support system of very dear friends, many of them we consider "family" to us. These are friends who "get it" when it comes to PWS and my kids... these are friends who are happy and capable of watching my kids when I need help, friends who are an extra set of eyes when we are at a function and David is in seek mode.
Then there is my PWS family... they are spread out all over the world... but are a huge part of our "huddle", at the click of the mouse I have 100s of people who I can get direction, support, and correction so that I can regroup for the next phase of the battle.
Many I have never met in person, others I have met a few times at conference, but yet we share the common bond of PWS and we are there to help eachother win.

Without this support network that is our "Huddle" we could not do what we do.

I encourage all of you to take a look today at your own "Huddle" to build a strong support network around yourselves, to surround yourselves with people who love you and your family and are willing to go the extra mile to help, and above all... know that you are not alone in this journey.

~Vicki



The Strength of the Huddle

When I asked Mike what he missed most about pro football, I was surprised by his answer.

He said it was getting into the huddle. You felt safe there, he said. It was where you could get direction, support, and correction. It was where you could regroup for the next phase of the battle, knowing 10 other guys were there to help you win.
Mike said the huddle was a real refuge during away-games in hostile stadiums, when, besides the team, they were fighting a negative environment.

It was a place where they could return to for encouragement to keep going.

Every man needs a safe place to get what he needs to enter into life's conflict. If a man's going to survive—no, win—the battles of life, he must have a huddle of good men around him to cheer him on and bandage his wounds. He needs men who will celebrate with him in the good times and do whatever it takes to bring help and healing in the bad times.
-Rodney L. Cooper in Shoulder to Shoulder


1 comments:

J said...

Hi Vicki - you've had a challenging and FULL few weeks! I like the new look of the blog - I have the same template and thought I was reloading my page by accident. I had the pleasure of seeing Reagin and Em twice in one week and being able to introduce my husband to them. So encouraging and wonderful. Keep on keeping on!
Jeannette