Friday, November 28, 2008

It wasn't our day.....

It's been a busy couple of days with all the football activities leading up to yesterdays Thanksgiving Day game with our big rival... Waterford.... unfortunately the "Football Gods" weren't on our side yesterday and for the first time in 7 years we had to give the bragging rights back to Waterford with a 20-loss.

It was still a fun day full of Good friends, good food and good memories.

Wednesday night we had the last Team Dinner of the season, complete with a couple of wonderful speakers who had played Viking Football in the past who shared their memories and thoughts on the game ahead.

Thursday morning Dave and Ryan were up and out the door at 4am to cook breakfast for the team with the Youth Football Coaches. I headed to the High School at 6am with the crew in tow to get set up and Breakfast was served at 7am to 60 hungry football players.

From there we headed out to the field to get our spots staked out in the stand for the game.. there were a couple of thousand people there yesterday and I wanted "our spot" to watch th game and didn't want it taken while we were on the field for Senior Day. Anyone who knows us, knows where to find us at game time... top row to the right of the press box!

Once we were all set up, Dave and I headed to the field to meet up with Alex for Senior recognition.. the moms were all presented with Roses and the dads all wear their sons away jerseys.. its pretty cool and a fun way to start off the last game these guys will play.

It was a good game, but we just couldn't get it in the end zone.. The guys played hard.. real hard. But we have several key players who are out injured and it showed.

Ben runs the water out for the team and at one point toward the end of the game, he came out of the huddle with the water bottles and the Ref helped him to the sideline kind of comforting him... it was then that I realized that he was crying... he takes this game very seriously and these boys are all his "brothers" and he was so sad that they weren't going to win that he just couldn't hold it in. I got a picture of the Ref comforting him as they got off the field... you will see it below.

After the game, we headed home for a yummy Thanksgiving Dinner followed by dessert at Tom and Claudia's house. By the time we got home, and got the kids in bed we were so exhausted and I think I was asleep before my head hit the pillow!

Enjoy the pictures....

Dave and I getting ready for Senior Day.

Dave and I with Alex

Seniors and Captains out on the field at the beginning of the game Alex is #63

Kick off.. Alex #63

Aric #67

These are from the end of the game.. I didn't realize at the time that Ben was so upset. Look at the poor little bug with his head hung low.. he had tears just streeming down his face. The Ref was so sweet with him.

Better luck next year Vikes....